Basil hummus (low-fat, vegan)

Some days (okay, most days) I have trouble (read: find it impossible) to  make a decision on what to make. It began when I was very young, and would take much too long deciding on what spread to put on my morning sandwich (a situation worsened by the vast array of spreads available for the average Dutch child).
Take my last weekend: I admired the flourishing of the beloved basil plants despite some of them growing at a 45degree angle after the last storm.
I realised it was time for a batch of pesto. Those leaves were ready for the harvest.

But wait.
There were chickpeas in the cupboard, a large jar of tahini, and surely that meant it was hummus time? (doo-doo, doo-doo can't touch this) Trapped in indecision, I went for option C: make both,....at the same time, in the same blender. A.k.a. make basil hummus!

A quick internet wander uncovered that this idea had been done to death, but I decided, with a complete lack of nuts in the pantry, and in the interest of keeping it cheap-a-cheap to make, I would go my own way.

So no nuts, no gallons of fancy oil, and going easy on pricy tahini, and making the best of one lemon, and behold my creation!

Basil Hummus

Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas, drained (keep that aqua faba!)
~1 cup packed basil leaves
1 tablespoon tahini
1 lemon, completely juiced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2-1 tsp cumin
1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
ground pepper to taste
optional:
1 tsp miso (because yum)
1 tbsp tomato paste (creates tanginess)
few sprigs coriander and mint (adds freshness)

Instructions:
Place chickpeas, basil, and all the other ingredients in the processor and pulse until the consistency is a just little chunky. Taste and adjust seasonings as you wish, you can add some of the chickpea water if it is too thick.

Notes: The chickpea water can be used as an egg replacer! 3 tablespoons for one egg. If you beat it with sugar it becomes meringue/fluff, cool huh?
If your lemon didn't yield enough juice, then use a fork to scrape some of the pulp into your hummus (keepin' it thrifty yo!).

Now slather your B-E-A-utiful hummus on toast, crackers, salads, dinner, anywhere! I'm sure you'll find many things easily spruced up with a layer of this on top.

Question: Do you suffer from massive indecision in the kitchen? How do you work with that?

Comments

Popular Posts